Friday, October 15, 2010

One man can change the world with a bullet in the right place.



"One man can change the world with a bullet in the right place." That line stuck with me from the very first time I saw If.... It's not hard to be attracted to this film. I mean the first time I saw this I was an impressionable young adult at the age of 18 seeing on of all channels Bravo. This is when Bravo actually had some quite interesting programming on TV. They would put on Films that never really hit the mainstream, but enough for people like me to soak up the films that I have never heard before or films that just hit that line of cult. On a typical week you could see films like If..., Night On Earth, Peeping Tom, and other great and strange odd things. Bravo also put on TV shows that I long to wish they were back on TV. Things like South Bank Show, or documentaries on the birth of Memphis or other unusual classic stuff.

My first time watching this film I was intrigued that it did not follow the formula I was taught. Movies back then to me were easy and the plots made sense of everything around the rest of the story. It was driving; point A to point B. It was what I thought a straight line. Little did I know that straight line took a lot of twists and turns before it got there. I always had the VCR rolling at home and looking for something that really made the grade. What was also cool about Bravo and AMC is their was no commercials like they have on their now. If there was, then they would only put on one or two just to give you a chance to catch your breath. If... was British, but that was okay by me. My world cinema was lacking and what I needed to is watch films outside the typical ones I knew.



If you asked me when I was eighteen what my favorite films were I would give you some really bad films. I mean what person in their right mind would think all the Police Academy are essential viewing. Even contemporary films like Lethal Weapon series are gold to me. I really liked films that really had no business liking good films, but Bravo, and AMC and especially If... changed my viewing landscape. Taking a few film classes and talking to the right people who loved Cinema also helped too. Every day I come to class with a notepad of what I should see and watch. This is way before DVD or Netflix and I would come home with about a dozen or so films to borrow from the library or video store.



During this learning experience I even asked my best friend who was getting a degree in Theater what I should watch and he gave me a few ideas what to see and pay close attention to. His films were mostly American films like Diner, Bullitt, Godfather, Dog Day Afternoon and others. I needed to find stuff that would capture my interest and make me remember that I can show off these films to a teacher or a friend and tell them how great they are. It is good in conversation that you like these films because one day it actually gets someone's attention that has the same appreciation as you do.

So, my first film has a simple title, but not a so simple plot. The movie is called If.... The movie is Lindsay Anderson's second full length film, but film debut of one Malcolm McDowell. It caught the attention of great film director Stanley Kubrick who was so engrossed with Malcolm's lead in the film that he cast him in A Clockwork Orange. Malcolm and his friends in the film are very rebellious and they have a plan to change the ridged ways of the school they are attending. There are certain parts that are in black and white, and rumors still surface that it was done intentionally or as Lindsay told everybody "I ran out of colour stock." I would tell you more, but then I would have to kill you. The movie finally made a DVD appearance in 2007 to much of my happiness.



The movie is a must own and worth every penny to study and talk about. Criterion did a wonderful job of restoring it to it's great luster and added a wonderful second DVD with great bonus material. After watching this film I'm sure you will be dying to see what other classic gems I will have up my sleeve. Take a time to watch. And....Action!!

No comments:

Post a Comment